Reading list inspiration for travel
Books & eBooks
- Folk Tales of the MaldivesView on Amazon A collection of traditional short stories and legends drawn from the local oral tradition, and translated and illustrated by the author who is the foremost authority on the language and anthropology of the Maldives. By Xavier Romero-Frias.
- Gatecrashing Paradise: Misadventures in the Real MaldivesView on Amazon Away from the five-star hotels and beyond luxury hideaways, the author travels to see the real, unexplored Maldives, skirting around the archipelagos periphery, staying at simple guesthouses, and using cargo ships and ferries. By Tom Chesshyre.
- The Maldives: Islamic Republic, Tropical AutocracyView on Amazon Until 2008 the Maldives hosted Asia's longest-serving dictator, Maumoon Abdul Gayoom. A former political prisoner, Mohamed Nasheed, an environmental activist, journalist, and politician, brought Gayoom's thirty-year autocracy to a sudden end, in the Maldives' first democratic elections. But the fight for democracy was just beginning. By JJ Robinson.
- The Reef GuideView on Amazon This illustrated guide documents some 800 reef fishes and invertebrates found along the east and south coasts of southern Africa. By Dennis King and Valda Fraser.
Articles & Academic Papers
- “1000 Islands, 2 Worlds”View on NYTimes.com The Maldives, unlike Bermuda or St. Barts, are more complex than many getaways for European tourists. They are ruled by an Islamic government — one, in fact, that is becoming more extremist by the year. By Alan Feuer.
- “Assessing Tsunami Impacts in the Republic of Maldives”View on USGS.gov This scholarly article summarily lays out the islands' geology and the impact of tsunamis on the low-lying archipelago. By Bruce Richmond and Helen Gibbons.
- “Former Maldives president Mohamed Nasheed jailed for 13 years”View on TheGuardian.com Conviction on terrorism charge of nation’s first democratically elected leader likely to worsen acute instability in popular tourist destination. By Jason Burke and Zaheena Rasheed.
- “Fourth Tourism Masterplan”View on tourism.gov.mv The Maldives' most recent tourism "masterplan" provides visibility into arrivals growth, the economic significance of tourism to the country and expectations for the future. By the Ministry of Tourism.
- “The Indian Monsoon”View on researchgate.net The author, a professor at the Centre for Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences at the Indian Institute of Science, explains the nature of South Asia's most impactful weather system. By Sulochana Gadgil.
- The Rehla (Journey) of Ibn Battuta: India, Maldives and CeylonView on archive.org The famous Moroccan explorer's impressions of India, Maldives and Ceylon (Sri Lanka), drawn from his mid-14th century visit. English translation by Dr. Mahdi Husain.
Online Sources & Blogs
- Reef Base | MaldivesVisit reefbase.org An excellent resource for detailed information on the region's coral reefs and reef fish.
- Travelers’ Health | MaldivesVisit CDC.gov Get the Centers for Disease Control’s recommendations for vaccines and medicines.
- World Bank | MaldivesVisit worldbank.org A great resource for the country's quality of living indicators, economy and climate change data.
- Mohamed Nasheed and Jon Shenk on “The Island President”Listen on wnync.org The former Maldives president gives his perspective on his ousting and the state of affairs on the island.
- Sea Level Rise, Coastal Cities, and WetlandsListen on soundcloud.com This University of Cambridge seminar looks at factors affecting rates of global and local sea level rise; how advanced regions are preparing - Venice, the Netherlands, and Sacramento Bay-Delta; vulnerable cities, agricultural river deltas, low-lying island nations.
Who to Follow
- Twitter: Flavours of MaldivesFollow @FlavourMaldives Flavours of Maldives is a collaborative initiative to preserve, sustain and promote the food, culture and lifestyle of the Maldives.
- Twitter: Haveeru OnlineFollow @haveeruonline News from Maldives' No.1 online newspaper.
- Twitter: Mohamed AslamFollow @AslamAslamtey An Oceanographer by profession, Former Minister of Housing and Environment (Nov 2008 - Feb 2012, Democratically Elected 1st Gov of Maldives).
- Twitter: Visit MaldivesFollow @visitmaldives Official twitter account of the Maldives...the Sunny Side of Life.