Reading list inspiration for travel
Books & eBooks
- Birds of the SeychellesView on Amazon The first comprehensive guide to the birds of the Seychelles. It describes and illustrates every species for the first time —more than 250 in all — and gives extended species accounts for all 66 breeding species, including the islands' rare black paradise flycatcher. By Adrian Skerrett and Tony Disley.
- Seychelles: The Saga of a Small Nation Navigating the Cross-Currents of a Big WorldView on Amazon The English-born author — the first president of the Republic of the Seychelles — tells the story of the country's independence from the UK, its subsequent political shakeup and its modern rise driven by economic development. By James Mancham.
- The Fruit HuntersView on Amazon The author examines the fruits we eat and explains why we eat them (the scientific, economic and aesthetic reasons); traces the life of mass-produced fruits (how they are created, grown and marketed) and explores the underworld of fruits that are inaccessible, ignored and even forbidden in the Western world. It includes a discussion of the Seychelles' unique coco de mer (double coconut). By Adam Leith Gollner.
- The Reef GuideView on Amazon This illustrated guide documents some 800 reef fishes and invertebrates found along the east and south coasts of southern Africa. By Dennis King and Valda Fraser.
Articles & Academic Papers
- “Hawksbill Turtle Monitoring in the Cousin Island, Seychelles”View on NatureSeychelles.org A scholarly article on the successful reinvigoration of the critically endangered Hawksbill sea turtle population. By Zoë C Allen,, Nirmal J Shah, Alastair Grant, Gilles-David Derand and Diana Bell.
- “Seychelles Islands Foundation Annual Report 2013”Visit Sif.sc Download a PDF summarizing the activities of the foundation, responsible for the management and protection of the World Heritage Sites of Aldabra and Vallée de Mai; it includes good reviews of flora, birds and wildlife.
- “Seychelles Through Time”Visit PBS.org This article explains the Seychelles' distinctive "un-oceanic," granite-based geology. By Paul Howell.
- “Sun and Shadows: How an Island Paradise Became a Haven for Dirty Money”Visit ICIJ.org Seychelles, a thousand miles from anywhere, is an offshore magnet for money launderers and tax dodgers. A look at this corruption-haunted archipelago shows how the offshore secrecy system has grown — and where it's going. By Matthew Shaer, Michael Hudson and Margot Williams.
- “The evolutionary origin of Indian Ocean tortoises”Visit people.ucsc.edu Today, the only surviving wild population of giant tortoises in the Indian Ocean occurs on the island of Aldabra. However, giant tortoises once inhabited islands throughout the western Indian Ocean. This article looks at their origins. By Eric P Palkovacs, Justin Gerlach and Adalgisa Caccone.
Online Sources & Blogs
- Reef Base | SeychellesVisit reefbase.org An excellent resource for detailed information on the region's coral reefs and reef fish.
- The Seychelles Islands TourismVisit seychelles.travel The islands' official tourism website provides information on activities, attractions, beaches, beaches and logistics.
- Travelers’ Health | SeychellesVisit CDC.gov Get the Centers for Disease Control’s recommendations for vaccines and medicines.
- World Bank | SeychellesVisit worldbank.org A great resource for the country's quality of living indicators, economy and climate change data.
Just for Kids
- OceansView on Amazon Beautiful book that encourages young readers to dive in and discover the watery world covering most of our earth and the amazing wildlife in its depths.
- Owen & Mzee: The True Story of a Remarkable FriendshipView on Amazon The amazing true story of the orphaned baby hippo and 130-year-old giant turtle whose remarkable friendship touched millions around the world. By Isabella Hatkoff and Craig Hatkoff.
Who to Follow
- Twitter: Chantelle HowellFollow @ChantelleVR Expat family living in the Seychelles. Married to an amazing man, mama to Arthur born 2013 and number 2 due Aug 15! Blogger aka Seychellesmama!
- Twitter: Nirmal ShahFollow @CousinIsland Thought Leader & Change Maker in Seychelles, Conservation, Environmental Education, Eco-tourism, Sustainable Development, Media PR, Island life.
- Twitter: Seychelles Island FoundationFollow @SIF_Seychelles We are a public trust responsible for the management and protection of Seychelles' two UNESCO World Heritage Sites, the Vallee de Mai and Aldabra Atoll.
- Twitter: Seychelles News AgencyFollow @SeyNewsAgency The latest news from the Seychelles islands and the Indian Ocean region. Pictured: co-editors Sharon Uranie and Rassin Vannier.
- Twitter: Seychelles.TravelFollow @visitseychelles The official tourism twitter account for the Seychelles Tourism Board. Sharing of great content to our follows.